Monday, October 1, 2012

When Life Hands You Apples Make Apple Butter!

Wow, I was feeling all domestic the other weekend and wanted to try something new in the kitchen.  There were 7 Granny Smith's staring at me from the fruit bowl that were just a tad past their "damn, these apples are good" stage but were still good enough for "something"!  Usually, I make an apple crostata when I have a few lingering apples.  By the by, why the hell did I have 7 apples?  The guys in the house wanted the bag of apples but after the first one or two decided to move on so there they sat.....  damn them!  ;)

Anyhoo, I got to thinking and I came up with my own version of Apple Butter!  Yes, I did visit several recipes and pulled from each what I knew I would like and the end result was absolutely the best damn apple butter I have EVER had!  Here's my recipe and I hope you enjoy it!
 
I started with 7 granny smith apples.  I cored them but didn't peel all of them.  I left 3 of them unpeeled.  I guess I was hoping a hint of fiber would counterbalance all the sugary goodness!  >:-) I chopped all 7 apples and into the crockpot they went!


  And, there it is, all the sugary good stuff!  I promise there is an actual recipe to follow!


After about two hours this was what the apples looked like in my crockpot.  I wasn't super impressed and was certain I was doing something wrong but onwards I pressed.  I must say, at this point in the process the house smelled heavenly!!!!!



After about 6 hours here is where my apples were.  FINALLY!  They were brown and mushy and starting to resemble Apple Butter.  Again, the smell????  O M G!!


And, after approximately 9 hours, I had the most incredible Apple Butter I have ever tasted in my life and that includes "fresh from the orchard" Apple Butter that I have picked up in the Carolina Mountains.  I hope you get the chance to try this and I really hope you enjoy it!  I know that I will be making this over and over and over again!  





Fin's Apple Butter

  • 7 Apples (I used Granny Smiths but I am sure a variety would be just as wonderful)
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1 c brown sugar
  • 2-3 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Core all apples and peel all but 3.  Chop apples and place in crock pot.  Mix sugars and spices and pour on top of apples.  Set crockpot on high and cook for approximately 2 hours with the lid "ajar".  I placed my lid sideways on the top of crockpot to let condensation and steam escape.  After 2 hours, slightly mash apples and stir.  Replace lid securely this time and cook another 5 hours on high stirring every hour and mashing what apples you can. After 5 hours, set the lid "ajar" again to let condensation and steam escape and continue to cook another 2 hours stirring and mashing.

After 9 hours I used an immersion blender to break down any large chunks.  

This made approximately 2 - 2.5 cups of apple butter.

YUMMY!  

If you try it let me know how you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment